Re: FixedPoint vs. FixedPointList

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24431] Re: [mg24384] FixedPoint vs. FixedPointList
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 00:58:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Here is one (very standard) way illustrated with the well known example of
the function whose FixedPoint gives an approximate value of Sqrt[2]:

sq[x_] := (x + 2/x)/2

index = 0

FixedPoint[(index++; sq[#]) &, 1.]

Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University, JAPAN

For Mathematica related links and resources try: