Re: Newbie Question - Integrated C++

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24570] Re: Newbie Question - Integrated C++
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:56:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

> I'll give you my conclusion in this paragraph, then explain it below.
> Mathematica is so good at graphing you won't want to use C++ for graphing,
> sound, and especially not for programming.  However - Mathematica ISN'T a
> library of proprietary (corporate owned) data.  Mathematica does export its
> graphics & 3D in more than one format.

Mathematica and MathGL3d exports
  - DXF
  - VRML 2.0
  - QuickDraw 3D
  - PovRay 3.1
  - RenderMan

Mathmatica alone can export DXF and 3Script files.

>But DirectX 3D and Sony Playstation
> aren't among them.  Mathematica can't allow its users to access a 3D card
> directly, or a sound card.

Strange -- why Mathematica 4.x (Win/Mac) come with an OpenGL libray for
the RealTime3D`
context ? To fill the hard disk ? A OpenGL driver typical use the 3d
hardware.

<SNIPP SNAPP>
> -C++ ; (* thats legal code in Mathematica *)
> Now, I'll assume that you doing the opposite: Making primitives (or scenes)
> in Mathematica and displaying them in DirectX 3D.  Not a good idea unless
> Wolfram or someone is already paying you money for it.

Hmm, there are atleast 3 programs that are build with this "not a good
idea"
The GLExplorer, the Dynamic Visualizer and MathGL3d.

I can tell you that at least MathGL3d is an excelent idea. It is a
powerful
and easy to use visualisation system.

> No - I know - it is
> fun.  But its a dead end.  Better to have fun in a non-dead end direction.
> Math is a safe direction by all accounts.
>
> Cover your eyes - I'm just about to break something to you about C++ :)
>
> C++ isn't much good without proprietary data and proprietary tools.  !!! C++
> is necessary for companies to get those proprietary things working under
> some OS!!!.

Ah I understand - thats why there is a GNU C/C++ compiler, portable
class
librays (wxWindows, Qt, gtk+)

Regards
  Jens