Multidimensional Optimization

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg23886] Multidimensional Optimization
  • From: scott.rifkin at (Scott Rifkin)
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 00:51:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Given a 10 points in a 100 dimensional space, (a 100 x 10 matrix) I would
like to find a plane (in particular 2 orthogonal 100 dimensional
vectors) upon which the projection of these points satisfies a particular
condition, namely that the ratio of the perimeter of this projected object
to its area be minimized.  I have a function set up to calculate this

  Is there a way to do something like FindMinimum where my variables to
be optimized are vectors?

Scott Rifkin