block diagonalisation matrices

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg23889] block diagonalisation matrices
  • From: "M.T.BAH" <M.T.BAH at>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 00:51:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

1. Do you know any reference on circulant and block circulant matrices?

2. Suppose we have a block circulant matrix  A=Circ(A1, A2, A3....An)
where  Ai (i=1...n) are square and symmetric matrices of size mxm.

Suppose the n matrices on the diagonal become different (for exemple the
last elements in each submatrix on the diagonal are somehow
perturbed)and  A is no more block circulant. How would you diagonalise

If you have any idea or know any reference dealing with the
diagonalisation of such matrices, please let me know.

Thanks in advance