Referencing Equations by Number

I use Mathematica 4.0 to generate notes for my courses in physics. However, when I
revise these notes, I often insert or delete equations thereby changing all
of the succeeding equation numbers. Is there a way to tag references to
these equations in the text so that when the equation number changes, the
corresponding text changes as well. For example

    a + b + c = 0              (1)

Equation (1) is ...

If I now insert another equation before (1), how can I work it so that the
text automatically changes to

Equation (2) is ...

Thanks,

Kevin