Re: RE:Working Precision

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24090] Re: [mg23928] RE:Working Precision
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:26:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I wonder if Richard Fateman wrote this tongue in cheek, witness
"When you must store the result into a finite sized memory".

Replacing inexact reals by rationals before computing often results in
running out of memory.
And, of course, there is the question of which fractions to use
initially -any variation here has consequences for the answer.

--
Allan
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk
Voice: +44 (0)116 271 4198