Wrong Precision with "N" ??
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg24108] Wrong Precision with "N" ??
- From: "J.R. Chaffer" <jrchaff at mcn.net>
- Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:52:00 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Will someone explain to this newbie why the advertised behavior of the numerical evaluation function "N" to some specific precision - flatly ignores the second argument? For example, on my machine, N[Pi,2] = N[Pi,3] = N[Pi,4] = N[Pi,10] = 3.14159 which is not at all what 'Help', and any number of books, claim, with no explanation of why it just might not work out that way (??) Thanks, J.R. Chaffer