Re: Export to Word2000

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24188] Re: Export to Word2000
  • From: "Atul Sharma" <atulksharma at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:51:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

One problem with the SaveAs GIF or BMP  feature is a bug in Mathematica 4.0
which causes it to truncate formulae in mid-line. P. Hinton recently
provided this group with a palette which fixes this problem, which I enclose
below. The resulting GIF images can be inserted into your Word documents as
images, but they are limited to screen resolution (72 dpi). Alternatively,
you can export the formulae as eps files (with or without a TIFF preview)
and then insert the EPS image into your Word document (using either the
SaveAs EPS or Export[ ] - with EPS or EPSTIF format specified). The
resulting Word document can be printed to a postscript printer directly or
to a non-postscript printer via Ghostscript or other postscript interpreter.

If you absolutely require bitmap or gif format images, one indirect (but
free) work around is as follows: Convert the eps formulae to ppm using the
ppmraw printer driver in Ghostscript/Ghostview. ImageMagik will convert this
to GIFs, BMPs or JPGs, as you wish, with at least 300 dpi resolution.

HTH Atul

Atul Sharma MD, FRCP(C)
Pediatric Nephrologist,
McGill University/Montreal Children's Hospital

Palette:

Cell[BoxData[
    TagBox[
      ButtonBox[
        RowBox[{
        "Save", " ", "Selection", " ", "As", " ",
           "GIF"}],

        ButtonFunction:>(
          Module[ {nbobj, content, cellexpr,
            winsz, nbexpr, exppkt},

poundExpression[
              Set[ nbobj,
                InputNotebook[ ]],
              Set[ content,
                NotebookRead[ nbobj]],
              If[
                SameQ[
                  Head[ content], Cell],
                CompoundExpression[
                  Set[ cellexpr,
                    ReplaceAll[ content, Cell[
                        Pattern[ content,
                          Blank[ ]],
                        Pattern[ style,
                          BlankNullSequence[

                          String]],

ternTest[
                          Pattern[ opts,

                            BlankNullSequence[ \
]], OptionQ]] -> Cell[
                      content, style,
                        ShowCellBracket -> False,
                         opts]]], Null],
                Set[ cellexpr,
                  Cell[
                  content, ShowCellBracket ->
                    False]]],
              Set[ winsz,
                Plus[
                  ReplaceAll[ WindowSize,
                    Options[
                      InputNotebook[ ],
                      WindowSize]], {0,
                  Plus[ 384,
                    Mod[
                      FromDate[
                        Date[ ]], 384]]}]],
              Set[ nbexpr,

                Notebook[ {cellexpr}, PageWidth ->
                  WindowWidth, WindowSize ->
                  winsz, WindowFrame ->
                  "Frameless",
                  WindowElements -> {}]],
              Set[ flnam,
                Experimental`FileBrowse[ ]],
              If[
                SameQ[ flnam, $Failed],
                Return[ ]],
              Set[ exppkt,
                ExportPacket[
                nbexpr, "GIF", flnam]],
              LinkWrite[ $ParentLink, exppkt],
              LinkRead[ $ParentLink]]]&),
        ButtonEvaluator->Automatic,
        Active->True],
      DisplayForm]], NotebookDefault,
  CellMargins->{{Inherited, Inherited}, {7, \
Inherited}},
  CellEditDuplicate->True,
  CellGroupingRules->"OutputGrouping",
  CellHorizontalScrolling->True,
  PageBreakAbove->True,
  PageBreakWithin->False,
  GroupPageBreakWithin->False,
  GeneratedCell->True,
  CellAutoOverwrite->True,
  CellLabelMargins->{{12, Inherited}, \
{Inherited, Inherited}},
  DefaultFormatType->DefaultOutputFormatType,
  InputAutoReplacements->{
    "->"->"\[Rule]", ":>"->"\
[RuleDelayed]",
      "<="->"\[LessEqual]",
      ">="->"\[GreaterEqual]",
      "!="->"\[NotEqual]", "=="->"\[Equal]",
      Inherited},
  HyphenationOptions->{
  "HyphenationCharacter"->"\[Continuation]"},
  LineSpacing->{1.25, 0},
  AutoItalicWords->{},
  LanguageCategory->"Formula",
  FormatType->InputForm,
  ScriptMinSize->9,
  CounterIncrements->"Output",
  StyleMenuListing->None,
  FontFamily->"Courier"]
Dale Horton wrote in message <8is7f7$h3p at smc.vnet.net>...

>You can select the formala and use one of the menu items under Edit|Save
>Selection As.
>
>Export can also create a graphic from typesetting boxes or cells.
>
>In[1]:= Export["file.eps", RowBox[{"1", "+", "2"}]]
>
>-Dale
>
>Jens Papke <JPapke at t-online.de> wrote in message
>news:8ihtlk$l8j at smc.vnet.net...
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there an ability to export formulas generated with Mathematica V4 to
MS