Re: Creation of file.m

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22412] Re: Creation of file.m
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:40:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bill,
The problem might be be the "scope" of the setting.

Using the option inspector:

1. To set a default option for all notebooks (Globally), the top left box of
the option inspector (after "Show option values for" )must contain
"global".The option setting will be stored in the preferences file. This
will be used unless a notebook has a different setting stored in its own
code - see below.

We normally have the global setting  AutoGeneratePackage -> Manual.

2. To store an option for notebook in  the notebook's own code, the notebook
must be selected (click in it ), the top bar of the option inspector window
will then contain "Options for <notebook name>.;  the top left box of the
option inspector (after "Show option values for" ) must contain "notebook"
The option setting is stored with the notebook.
Any such setting will be used in preference to any Global setting

Call the setting of an option that is actually used the "effective" setting.

As mentioned earlier in the group's responses, when we save a notebook with
an initialization cell and effective setting  AutoGeneratePackage -> Manual,
then a panel gives us the choice of saving a separate package file or not:

    - saving enters the option AutoGeneratePackage -> Automatic in the
notebook's own code;
    - not saving enters AutoGeneratePackage -> Automatic in  the noebook's
own code

> By the way, why can we access the apparently same info through
> Edit/Preferences and Format/Options?

The first way gives Global in the top left hand box of the Option Inspector,
the second gives Selection.

Allan
Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting