Mathlink speed

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22516] Mathlink speed
  • From: Kurt Taretto <Kurt.Taretto at ipe.uni-stuttgart.de>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 02:27:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I'm using some algorithms which deal with matrices of about 20000
elements.  Since filling the matrices in Mathematica using "For" loops
is too slow, I was wondering if an implementation with Mathlink and a C
program could help (apparently the matrix filling cannot be done using
the Map function, because the rules to fill the elements are complicated
(Jacobi matrix coefficients in finite differences, 2D)).  Surely the
C-program will do the task faster, but the question is if the time
needed to pass the matrix from Mathematica to C and receiving it with
its modifications will not be greater than doing everything within
Mathematica like I'm doing now.

Thanks in advance!!

Kurt Taretto