Re: Re: Getting graphic outputs from background jobs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22506] Re: [mg22302] Re: Getting graphic outputs from background jobs
  • From: Otto Linsuain <linsuain+ at andrew.cmu.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 02:27:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 Thanks for advice about getting graphic output from Mathematica when
running in batch mode (in batch mode the output is stored in a text
file). I have received 3 different ways of achieving what I needed by
supressing the graphic output in the text file and exporting it to a
PostScript file instead. All the suggestions work fine.

 I believe the answers have been posted to the list, so I won't repost
them. If someone needs them, then I will e-mail them to him/her
personally.

 A related question. In the course of looking for a solution to my
problem I learned that there is a way to store all the output of a batch
mode Mathematica process into a Notebook (instead of a text file). This
would be very convenient since you would have the graphic and numerical
results in the same file, plus you could easily edit the graph directly
by opening the Notebook (I don't know how to edit a PostScript file)

Does anybody know how to do this? I know it is explained in the 3rd
edition of Programming in Mathematica and requires using the package
ProgrammingInMathematica `Notebook, which comes installed with most
Mathematica versions. Now the book is not in our library and the Help in
Mathematica doesn't explain the possibilities of that package. Thanks,
Otto.