Re: J/Link preview release

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22437] Re: J/Link preview release
  • From: tgayley at linkobjects.com (Todd Gayley)
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 00:23:37 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 24 Feb 2000 05:28:43 GMT, "Kai G. Gauer" <gauer at sk.sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>Will this run on version 3.0 of Mathematica?
>
>Not that I'd ever rely on Java to speed up my Mathematica programs ;-) By
>the way, will this further simplify the ability to export an animation
>from Mathematica 3.0 to something such as the windows screen saver
>program or to a homepage or to some other console not running
>Mathematica? How easy is this to do, what (Java) tools do I need, what
>sorts of slowdown should I expect for animations outside of Mathematica
>and does anyone have any sorts of source code examples/tutorials to get a
>person started?

Kai,

J/Link is only supported on Mathematica 4.0, but it works fine with
3.0. I'm only aware of one place in the code where 4.0 behavior is
assumed. When calling Java methods from Mathematica that take floats
or doubles (or arrays of them), the pattern test that is applied in
Mathematica is _Real. Thus, you need to use N on an array if it has
integers in it. In Mathematica 3.0, N[0] ---> 0, so if an array has
integer 0's in it, using N on it won't be enough to make it match the
pattern and the call into Java would be rejected. In 4.0, N[0] --->
0., so N is sufficient, as intended.

You ask a lot of other questions, and I don't think I can answer all
of them. You can use J/Link to export Mathematica graphics, but it
uses the same techniques as are available to you from Mathematica
code. In other words, if Display, Export, or the front end commands
for exporting graphics don't give you the formats you want, J/Link
won't help, at least not "out of the box". On the other hand, J/Link
can definitely help display Mathematica graphics on a console that is
not running Mathematica.

The Java tools you need are just a 1.1.x or later Java runtime, and a
Java compiler if you want to write your own Java code. You can use the
ones from Microsoft, Sun, or anyone else.

The J/Link materials include an extensive User Guide with lots of
examples.

--Todd