Re: ScatterPlot3D with vertical lines

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22591] Re: [mg22570] ScatterPlot3D with vertical lines
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:55:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

John,

It is probably easier to bypass ScatterPlot3D. Here are some points:

points = Table[{Random[Real, {-5, 5}], Random[Real, {-5, 5}],
        Random[Real, {5, 10}]}, {10}];

This constructs lines from the x-y plane up to the points:

lines = Line /@ Transpose[{points /. {x_, y_, z_} -> {x, y, 0}, points}];

We can generate the graphics directly:

Show[Graphics3D[{AbsolutePointSize[6], Point /@ points, lines}]];

This is also discussed in Chapter 10 of Heikki Ruskeepaa's Mathematica Navigator
book, a good source of examples for many common tasks in manipulating and
illustrating data.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/