external files and strings

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22585] external files and strings
  • From: Otto Linsuain <linsuain+ at andrew.cmu.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:55:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 Hello. I need to store graphic results from a series of calculations
which I run in batch mode. I try the following and I can't see what is
going on:

 Do[ Plot[Sin[i x], {x,0,Pi}, DisplayFunction->Identity] >>
"sin"<>ToString[i]<>".m", {i,1,10}]

 You can actually run this on a Notebook and it will just create ten files

 sin1.m to sin10.m in your directory. you can open any of them in the
same or another Notebook:

 sin1 = << "sin1.m"

 Display[$Display,sin1], etc  and you will see each one of the graphs.

 So far, so good. Now comes the problem:

 When I run that Do[ Plot.... ...{i,0,1}]

 command in batch mode (converting the Notebook to a text file and so on)
it creates only one file called sin ( no 1,2 or .m) and in the out file
I find the following error:

 StringJoint::string: String expected at position 1 in Null<>1<>.m

 It seems to be unable to read the first position of the file name
string in batch mode!

 I have tried adding more strings, but it is only the first that causes
confusion, so if I try to call the file: "sin"<>ToString[i]<>"times x
... and so on, the error message shows the rest of the strings OK, but
position 1 interprets as Null. What is going on? Any ideas of how to fix
this? Thanks a lot. Otto Linsuain.

 P.S. I know this seems like a very benign problem, but if I can't get
the computer to bookkeep a long series of results of long calculations,
I will go crazy trying to figure out which graph is which!