FindMinimum

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22644] FindMinimum
  • From: "Johannes Ludsteck" <ludsteck at zew.de>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:11:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Mathgroup members
I have some problems with the sparse documentation of the
FindMinimum Procedures.

1) To the best of my knowledge the Newton and QuasiNewton
methods use the gradient and the hessian of the minimand or an
approximation to them. Mathematica, however allows me only to
supply an analytical gradient, but not the hessian. Why? (I think
that it would speed up the minimization considerably if an
analytical hessian could be used.

2) I suspect that Mathematica uses a secant method if it cannot
compute analytical gradients. In my application it would be efficient
to compute a numerical gradient (an hessian) and to use the
gradient or quasi-newton method, since my minimand is smooth
and globally convex, but not differentiable analytically. Can I force
Mathematica to use this strategy?

Thank you,
	Johannes Ludsteck

Johannes Ludsteck
Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW)
Department of Labour Economics,
Human Resources and Social Policy
Phone (+49)(0)621/1235-157
Fax (+49)(0)621/1235-225