Re: graphics rendering glitch?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22705] Re: [mg22643] graphics rendering glitch?
  • From: dkeith at sarif.com
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:28:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Also in 4.0.1/NT4, as in Mathematica 3.0, if you use MultipleListPlot to plot
multiple lists as a family of curves, but use PlotRange to constrain
the plots to a smaller Y range than that represented in the data, the
points which would have plotted in the PlotLabel area still plot there
obscurring the label.
This was diagnosed for me about a year ago by Paul Hinton as a
postscript interpretation error. He turned it to the development group
but it's still there in 4.0.1.
It's rather annoying if you plot as many semiconductor curve families
as I do.
Dave
In article <8av94g$jfe at smc.vnet.net>,
Hartmut Wolf <hwolf at debis.com> wrote:
> Gianluca Gorni schrieb:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > Working on a Mac with Mathematica 4 I have noticed that graphics
primitives
> > contained in a GraphicsArray object do not obey the PlotRange
instructions,
> > but spill over into neighbouring plots. For example try this:
> >
> > c = Graphics[{Circle[{0, 0}, 1]}, PlotRange -> {{0, 1}, {0, 1}}];
> >
> > Show[GraphicsArray[{c, c}]];
> >
> > The spillover does not occur in the Export[]'ed versions. So I guess
> > it is just one more quirk of the front end rendering.
> >
> > I wonder if and when we are going to get a version of the Mac front
> > end that takes full advantage of the graphics engine of the upcoming
> > MacOS X.
> >

> Gianluca,
>
> I just tried your example on my Version 4 for MS Windows (under
Windows
> NT). To make the problem even more visible I did:
>
> In[1]:=
> c = Graphics[{Circle[{0, 0}, 1]}, PlotRange -> {{0, 1}, {0, 1}},
> AspectRatio -> Automatic, Background -> Hue[.25, .1, 0.9]];
> In[2]:=
> Show[GraphicsArray[{{c, c}, {c, c}}], Background -> GrayLevel[0.6]];
>
> Me too, I see that the graphics primitive circle is not clipped at the
> borders of the elements of the individual graphics ranges (c), but at
> the borders of the resulting GraphicsArray. Though buggy, this is is
> understandable if circle is passed as a PostScript primitive to low
> level rendering (but whom shall I tell this! BTW the graphics I saw at
> your site <http://www.dimi.uniud.it/~gorni> are quite impressive).
>
> If ...
>
> In[3]:=
> cs = DisplayString[
> Graphics[{Thickness[0.025], Hue[0.75, 1., 0.7], Circle[{0, 0},
> 1]},
> PlotRange -> {{0, 1}, {0, 1}}, AspectRatio -> Automatic,
> Background -> Hue[.25, .1, 0.9]]];
>
> In[4]:= cc = Graphics[PostScript[cs]];
>
> In[5]:=
> Show[GraphicsArray[{{c, cc}, {c, cc}}], Background -> GrayLevel[0.6]];
>
> ...things become pretty queer.
>
> Hartmut

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.