Simple Mathematica expression Q

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23344] Simple Mathematica expression Q
  • From: "Arturas Acus" <acus at itpa.lt>
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 02:59:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Group,

I have a few suspicions about what is
"Mathematica expression". Or more exactly,
whether I correctly understand what it is.

In versions 1 and 2, frontend  part was simple, and all its only
work was to send all user input to the kernel (thought there was
cells, of course). So Mathematica expression was the same
as kernel expression.
Now we have front end expressions
like Cell[], Notebook[], etc which seems are ignored by kernel alone.

For example I just started "math" in my Linux box
and performed a few small experiments.

I put Cell[x=1,"Input] and get Cell[1,Input].

So Cell was not converted to "output" cell.
?Cell show, that kernel know what the Cell[] is.

Also kernel can generate  (output) entire notebook expressions.
Indeed I would be thankful if somebody could help me to
understand this behaviour.

Related question is:
Can Mathematica notebooks contain operating system
dependent expressions (parts)?

Obviously system dependent bitmap images, when imported into notebook
are changed into system independent format.

The only object I suspect is almost undocumented Raw[]
objects?

Dr. Arturas Acus
Institute of Theoretical
Physics and Astronomy