Database in Module ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23398] Database in Module ?
  • From: "Krautschik, Chris G" <krautschikc at intel.co.jp>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 02:26:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have create a database for various optical materials for their complex
index of refraction over a certain wavelength region. I typically call the
module by the function nk("Si", 13.4). This then returns the complex index
of refraction for the element Silicon at the desired wavelength for example.
The module works fine except that it stores some 10,000 or so data points
(in a 2D Matrix) and that it needs to be loaded (I load the nk.nb notebook
and hit shift-enter so it's in memory)  every time before I want to use the
module nk in another program.

I suppose one can write a package and then load that package from a
designated directory. Given that I have never written a package program
before and that I don't really want to spend much time on modifying a
program that already seems to work what is the best way for me so I don't
have to run the module "nk" every time I want to use it?

thanks,
Chris

PS. If converting the module to a package is indeed the preferred way to do
this then I suppose I should learn how to do this!