evaluation sequence

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg23446] evaluation sequence
  • From: "Frederic Montfort" <frederic.montfort at>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 02:32:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have some problems with the evaluation sequence.
I have two notebooks. The first should read two lists in the second notebook
and then work with these.
It works in step by step evaluation, but not in global evaluation. In this
case, Mathematica works with the name of the list and not with its contents.
Here is a simplified example. I work on mathemetica 4 on Windows NT

The second notebook called "variables.nb" contains:
In[13]:=variablesnames = {a, b, c} (*1st cell with Tag "varname"*)
In[14]:=variablesvalues = {1, 2, 3} (*2nd cell with Tag "varval"*)

1st notebook called "Work.nb"

(*1st cell*)
nbVariables = NotebookOpen["variables.nb"];
nbWork = NotebookOpen["Work.nb"];
NotebookFind[nbVariables, "varname", All, {CellTags}];
SelectionMove[nbVariables, All, CellContents];
selectionnames = NotebookSelection[nbVariables];
NotebookFind[nbVariables, "varval", All, {CellTags}];
SelectionMove[nbVariables, All, CellContents];
selectionvalues = NotebookSelection[nbVariables];

(*2nd cell*)

Output in step by step evaluation (1st and 2nd cell separately):
Out[13]={a, b, c}
Out[14]={1, 2, 3}

Output in global evaluation (1st and 2nd cell together):

What can I do to have the lists as output ({a, b, c} and {1, 2, 3}) whith a
global evaluation?

Thanks a lot for your help

Frederi Montfort

Frederic Montfort
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL)
Institute of Applied Optics (IOA),
CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
tél: (+41 21) 693 5182
E-mail: frederic.montfort at