Re: Slow system reaction

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg23505] Re: Slow system reaction
  • From: paulh at (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 02:44:53 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <8fn4o2$a0v at>,
 Klamser at (Peter Klamser) writes:

> Hi, when I let Mathematica do a longer computation under WiNT 4.0 the
> system has a very long reaction time when I try to open a file with a other
> program via the explorer. This does not happen, when I open the application
> directly and load the file via the file open menu.

Do you run anti-virus software with real-time scanning capabilities.
The action of attempting to open a document from the Windows Explorer
shell probably results in the anti-virus software scanning the file,
which uses CPU resources.  Try disabling the realtime feature to see
if you observe a difference.

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.