Linking with C++

Hi,
    I want to construct a mini package for  Mathematica which involves
defining new types of objects and functions of these objects , (to be
specific 2D conformal fields in physics).  Anyhow, I've only used
Mathematica once 5 years ago and I need to know:

1)    Can you define new types of objects, relations between them and
functions of them purely in Mathematica?
2)     If not is it possible to interface between Mathematica and
C++, whereby the C++ bit can return expressions as well as numbers?

Any advice welcome

Mike C.