init.m questions and message windows

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23640] init.m questions and message windows
  • From: jwojtkie at my-deja.com
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 01:00:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am trying to create some packages for functions that I use often.  I
want to put them in my e:\home\mathematica\ directory so they aren't
lost in the mathematica directory tree and in a place that I back up
often.
I want to be able to call them like the standard packages. like
<<MyStuff`Test`
to find the package at e:\home\mathematica\MyStuff\Test.m

I can't get mathematica to find the files though.  I don't understand
how the contexts work.  I tried to append the directory
(e:\home\mathematica\) to the $Path but that doesn't work.  The output
shows it adds it but the next time I look at $Path the new item is gone.

How do people here manage their new packages?  Am I missing something
I've gone through all my books but they don't help.

Another unrelated question.  Can you send all messages to that special
message window that pops up when you put Print[] statements in your
init.m file.  I could see how this would be useful to me sometimes but
can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks for the help.
Jeff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/