Re: About Parallel Computing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25858] Re: About Parallel Computing
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 01:25:42 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

> I want to Parallel Computing using Mathmatica Parallel Computingkit..
> However, calculation time is determined by performance of the SlaveMachine.

Computation time is determined by the *algorithm* and it's
parallelisation.
In a second look it depends on the speed of the CPU connection
(pipe speed on SMP machines, TCP/IP speed in ws-clusters)

The Parallel Computing toolkit support only the "master - slave"
topologie. You can still design a peer-to-peer algorithm but with out
an additional programming your task is distributed onto all slaves and
the master is waiting.

Since you have only two machines you can do the following to get a
speed up.
a) let the faster machine act as slave
b) start a second kernel as second slave on the slower machine *and*
   start a kernel process as master on the slower machine

Hopefully the better conection speed on the same machine will a bit
out weight the speed of the faster machine. Since the master is
waiting and consume only minor CPU time the two slaves are working and
may speed up your calculation.

How ever the speed up depends on your true task and the algorithm you
use.
So I can't give you an advice what's to do in you case.

Hope that helps
  Jens