Differentiation of Spline Fits

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25893] Differentiation of Spline Fits
  • From: rmj at stanford.edu (Roger M. Jones)
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 02:56:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The function SplineFit[dat,Cubic] results in an excellent
fit to rapidly varying data.  However, I also need to
have the derivative of the function available at intermediate
points.  Is it possible to take the derivative of SplineFit
even though it produces a parameteric output?

I have searched Mathsource and found a user written non-parametric
spline fitting function but it not very effifient for many thousands of
data points.  Is there an efficient spline fitting function available
that allows derivatives to be obtained?

Many thanks,

-Roger Jones

--