DumpSave

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25962] DumpSave
  • From: "Gareth J. Russell" <russell at cerc.columbia.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:46:55 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I am having trouble with DumpSave. Since it may well be system specific, I'm
using a Macintosh G3 with 256MB RAM. I have 100MB allocated to MathKernel
and 50MB to the Front End.

My notebook generates a number of large arrays, typically about 1000 by 80
in size, and there may be around ten of these. They take hours to generate,
so I want to save them once done so I don't have to re-generate them each
time.

I've tried saving the whole lot with DumpSave["filename"], and also saving
individual arrays with DumpSave["filename.mx",arrayname]. The process
begins, the file is created on my computer, and sometimes stuff is written
to it, but Mathematica then hangs with a watch cursor. Command-period does not work
to break out of it, and my only option seems to be to force-quit Mathematica. This
ALWAYS happens with the whole-notebook save, and often with the individual
array save.

I have 386MB of space on the drive that is being saved to, so I don't think
that can be a problem.

Any tips for making DumpSave more reliable? I wondered if the fact that the
386MB is not contiguous might be a factor...

Gareth

Dr. Gareth J. Russell

NEW ADDRESS and E-MAIL FROM 1ST SEPTEMBER, 1999

Center for Environmental Research and Conservation
  MC 5556
    Columbia University
      1200 Amsterdam Avenue
        New York, NY 10027, U.S.A.