RE: possible bug in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25980] RE: [mg25967] possible bug in Mathematica?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 02:09:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Peter,

The Mathematica documentation is a bit misleading under Part. You have to
put both indices within one set of brackets so that you have one part and
not a part of a part.

matrix = Table[0, {2}, {3}]
{{0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0}}

matrix[[1,1]] = 11;
matrix[[1,2]] = 12;
matrix
{{11, 12, 0}, {0, 0, 0}}

You could use this method to set a number of elements in one row at once.
The parentheses around the Set statement are necessary.

MapThread[(matrix[[2,#1]] = #2) & ,
matrix
{{11, 12, 0}, {5, 6, 7}}

David Park