TexForm and subscripts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26065] TexForm and subscripts
  • From: Christian Vitt <vitt at uni-muenster.de>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 01:55:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

in Mathematica 4 I have a long expression containing symbols like 'vp1'.

This expression is to be included into an LaTeX-Document, in which I
liked 'vp1' to be used as 'v_{\shortparallel 1}'.

I therefore tried things like
  Format[vp1, TeXForm] = "v_{\shortparallel 1}";
  vp1 // TeXForm
but this unfortunatly returned
  v\_{\shortparallel 1}
including an unwanted backslash.   WHY ?

I also tried definitions like
  x1 = Subscript[x,1];
  x1 // TeXForm
which works fine within this easy example, but fails whenever I try to
include something with '\shortparallel'.

What do I do wrong ?

Many thanks in advance, and with kind regards,
Christian Vitt !