Re: Simplifying things

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26117] Re: Simplifying things
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 01:56:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

<djago at my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8vfs3v$jkq at smc.vnet.net...
> Hi!
> I need to simplify looooong equations, but don't know how to get rid of
> those terms like:
>
> Sqrt[a^2]
>
> when a is a real positive variable... How can I tell Mathematica 3 to
> simplify this?

I ran into this recently also. It turns out that versions of Mathematica
before version 4.0 could not be instructed to make the necessary assumptions
about such an equation (say, that x >= 0).

In Mathematica 4.0, you can say --

Simplify[Sqrt[x^2],x >= 0]

-- and you will get the desired result.

Here is a link to a more complete explanation. Remember, some of the
examples shown don't work in pre-4.0 versions:

http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/newin4/new_assumptions.html

--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com