- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg25454] Re: StringQ?
- From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
- Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 02:44:38 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Universitaet Leipzig
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hmm, what does it better than _String ?? and for what it is good for ? It seems always better (and faster) to look for the head of a data type than to ask with a function if Head[a]===String Regards Jens "J. Leko" wrote: > > While working on a problem in Mathematica 4.02, I happened to use a > function StringQ. It just seemed like a logically named Mathematica > function, and it followed the usual naming convention. I was surprised to > learn, however, that this function is referenced no where in the > Mathematica documentation. What is even more surprising is that it seems > to have existed since at least version 2.2 (although I did see it > referenced in Blachmann's "Mathematica Quick Reference version 2")! > > Is this an oversight on the part of WRI? Perhaps it was mistakenly left > out of the docs in earlier versions. I can't imagine this being one of > those "undocumented functions" wwhich are subject to change/removal from > the language. > > J. Leko > > Please e-mail replies to leko*j at cspar.uah.edu and remove the *