Re: tracing lines on surface-graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25596] Re: tracing lines on surface-graphics
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 03:50:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

form Plot3D[] you get a SurfaceGraphics[] object. The first argument
of SurfaceGraphics[] are the f[x[i],y[i]] on a regular matrix.
To get the sparse meshlines you can  take the rows or columns
of this matrix, extend it whith the x and y values where the line is
and add this line to a graphics object that is displayed whith the
surface.

Make a surface:

gr = Plot3D[Sin[x^2 + y^2]/(1 + x^2 + y^2), {x, -Pi, Pi}, {y, -Pi, Pi},
    PlotPoints -> 60, Mesh -> False, DisplayFunction -> Identity]

compute a line :

{nx, ny} = Dimensions[gr[[1]]];
xymesh = MeshRange /. gr[[2]];
{{x1, x2}, {y1, y2}} = xymesh;
dx = (x2 - x1)/(nx - 1);
dy = (y2 - y1)/(ny - 1);
l1 = MapIndexed[{x1 + (First[#2] - 1)*dx, y1 + 30*dy, #} &, gr[[1,
30]]];

combine the two graphics:

Show[Graphics3D[Line[l1]], gr]

Regards