Re: Mathematica 3.0 & MathReader 4.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25119] Re: Mathematica 3.0 & MathReader 4.0
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 03:14:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 7 Sep 2000, Andrea Riciputi wrote:

> Opening the new notebooks from "The Mathematica Jornal" with my
> Mathematica 3.0, I've noticed a lot of warning and error messages
> caused by new commands of version 4 (I suppose!). So I'm wondering if
> MathReader 4 and Mathematica 3 can coexist without problems... Anyone
> could help me??

The warning messages that you are observing most likely relate to notebook
and cell options that were introduced in Mathematica 4.  In most cases,
the error messages are benign and may be ignored.

It is also possible to install Mathreader 4 on a system running
Mathematica 3.0.  The two products will install themselves in distinct
locations on your file system so they are independent of one another.

The only thing you have to work around is file associations for notebooks.
Once Mathreader is installed, you may find that double-clicking on a
notebook's icon will result in it being loaded in MathReader.  Check your
operating system documentation for information on how to adjust file
associations.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com