How to display the desired numerical precision?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg25215] How to display the desired numerical precision?
- From: "Christopher R. Carlen" <crcarle at sandia.gov>
- Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 02:21:49 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Sandia National Laboratories
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
In Mathematica 3, I could input
N[ Pi, 12 ]
and see 12 digits of result. However in Mathematica 4 I see 6 digits, no matter
what I put in for the number of digits, unless >16. In other words,
N[ Pi, 17 ]
shows 17 digits.
It seems that for less than or equal to machine precision, the result
gets displayed using the setting of Formatting Options|Expression
Formatting|Display OPtions|Print Precision.
But for numbers greater than the maching precision, the result displays
according the precision specified to the N function.
Can someone tell me how to get the following behavior from Mathematica 4:
If I don't specify anything about precision, show 6 digits.
Else if I specify any number of digits to N from 1 to n, then display
Thanks for input.
Christopher R. Carlen
Sr. Laser/Optical Tech.
Sandia National Labs
Prev by Date:
Testing the Head of List Elements
Next by Date:
Previous by thread:
Re: Testing the Head of List Elements
Next by thread:
Re: How to display the desired numerical precision?