How to display the desired numerical precision?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg25215] How to display the desired numerical precision?
- From: "Christopher R. Carlen" <crcarle at sandia.gov>
- Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 02:21:49 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Sandia National Laboratories
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi: In Mathematica 3, I could input N[ Pi, 12 ] and see 12 digits of result. However in Mathematica 4 I see 6 digits, no matter what I put in for the number of digits, unless >16. In other words, N[ Pi, 17 ] shows 17 digits. It seems that for less than or equal to machine precision, the result gets displayed using the setting of Formatting Options|Expression Formatting|Display OPtions|Print Precision. But for numbers greater than the maching precision, the result displays according the precision specified to the N function. Can someone tell me how to get the following behavior from Mathematica 4: If I don't specify anything about precision, show 6 digits. Else if I specify any number of digits to N from 1 to n, then display n digits. Thanks for input. -- _______________________ Christopher R. Carlen Sr. Laser/Optical Tech. Sandia National Labs