Differential operators, Help
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg25332] Differential operators, Help
- From: "Bill Bertram" <wkb at ansto.gov.au>
- Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:35:55 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
This should be relatively easy, but after several tries I have not been able
to do it.
I want define a differential operator in the following way. Let Dx and Dx2
denote the operators for first and second order differentiation with respect
to x. I want P to be an operator which depends on x, Dx and Dx2.
For example, with
P = Dx2 + x Dx
I want P[f[z],z] = f''[z] + z f'[z].
This much I can do, but I cannot find a method which also gives the
P[ P[f[z],z], z] -> (f''[z] + z f'[z])''+ z (f''[z] + z f'[z])'
Or more generally, if I have two such operators P and Q I want the correct
result from expressions such as
P[ Q[f[x],x], x]
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Prev by Date:
Next by Date:
Re: Newbie question
Previous by thread:
Re: winding number
Next by thread:
Re: Differential operators, Help