Re: Point inside a plygon? and PointInsidePolyhedronQ

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25340] Re: [mg25239] Point inside a plygon? and [mg24992] PointInsidePolyhedronQ
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at bekkoame.ne.jp>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 03:36:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Below are a few  comments that came to my mind on reading the message below.

 I think one problem here is that it is not clear exactly which  initial
data you are assuming.

 Consider just the  two dimensional case: the situation is rather different
if we start with a polygon (basically just an ordered list of points) from
the one in which the starting data consist of a  polygon with an already
given triangulation. If we are in the first situation (as appears from the
actual question sent to the mathgroup) than to use David Park's method we
would have to triangulate the polygon first. More, we would need a general
procedure that would produce a canonical triangulation of any polygon. While
I can  prove that any polygon can be triangulated I do not know of an
algorithm that will triangulate and arbitrary polygon. My speciality is
algebraic  not combinatorial topology so I am not prepared to assert that
such an algorithm does not exist, but at least it's existence is not obvious
to me. Even if there is such an algorithm, its complexity would most likely
not be very good. Besides, David's method would require checking every
triangle in a triangulation.

In the three dimensional case not only a triangulation but also directed
normals to the simplexes were given. Again they would be difficult to
compute if they were not provided as part of the initial data. So it seems
to me that rather than having three methods to solve the same problem you
are talking about three methods to solve three different (of decreasing
generality) problems.

There is indeed a higher dimensional analogue of the integration method. But
since Mathematica can't integrate differential forms or functions over
surfaces in R^3 (not to mention higher dimensions) somebody would have to to
develop virtually from scratch. This seems to be a highly non-trivial task.
So does the rest of your proposal, c.f. Mathematica's Computational Geometry
package which contains some of the things you mention but only in two
dimensions.

Andrzej Kozlowski

--
Andrzej Kozlowski