Re: complex coefficients and rules...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28211] Re: complex coefficients and rules...
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 03:00:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

the online help (Conjugate|Further Examples) say:

Exp[-4 I y] /. Complex[0, a_] :> Complex[0, -a]

And it *is* the "official" way, even if you don't like it.
The reason is that Complex[1,2] is a numerical data type
and

a+I*b

with symbolic a and b is *not* Complex[a,b] it is

Plus[a,Times[Complex[0,1],b]]

Regards
  Jens