MathGroup Archive 2001

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: PC - Mac Compatibility

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28488] Re: PC - Mac Compatibility
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 01:30:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Organization: Brahea Consulting
  • References: <9bosns$mja@smc.vnet.net>
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello David Park,

I create Mathematica notebooks in Mathematica 4.0 and 4.1 (mostly 4.0) on WinNT4 for a software development firm that runs Mathematica 4.0 on both WinnNT4 and MacOS10.01 ("Classic" overlay). We have noticed no problems related to compatibility. There were some when we used Mathematica 3.0, and perhaps your Mac user is experiencing some of these.

Now for the bad news. First, the client, having access to both Win and Mac and generally preferring the Mac OS, still prefers to run Mathematica on Win because the front end is more stable there. I certainly hope that the combination of Mac OS 10.1 and the new Mathematica release for OS10 (due in July) will solve this problem, because I am chomping at the bit to dump my PC for a Mac.

Second, on my recommendation, the client avoids Mathematica 4.1 because my Front End (4.1.0.0 on WinNT4, s.p.6) crashes every time I select a numbered cell style for an empty cell. We use numbered heading cells all the time, so using 4.1 is like walking on egg shells. I found and reported this error on day 1 of my 4.1 installation. I assume it will eventually be corrected.

On 20 Apr 2001 04:41:32 -0400, in comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica you wrote:

>Can somebody help me to convince him that Version 4.1 PC packages will run
>on Version 4.1 Mac machines? I think I need some direct positive experience.

Tom

• Prev by Date: Re: Echelon form of a matrix
  • Next by Date: Re: considering reflections in ray tracing with optica
  • Previous by thread: RE: PC - Mac Compatibility
  • Next by thread: controlling whether notebook sections open on evaluation