Re: Frequent crashing problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28495] Re: Frequent crashing problem
  • From: Roland Franzius <Roland.Franzius at uos.de>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:03:14 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Don Burch schrieb:

> I am running 4.1 under Win2000 on a 1GHz PC with 1Gb of RAM and am
> crashing Mathematica on a regular basis.  The failure occurs when I have
> hundreds of large graphics in a notebook and then try to save (notebook
> size about 150Mb).  I also am having problems when I have 6 or more
> notebooks open at once and try to save any of them.  This PC was just
> "upgraded" from NT4.0 to Win2000, but I never had any of these problems
> under NT4.0.  Has anyone had similar problems?  Any suggestions?  Thank
> you.
>
> Don

Is Mathematica 4.1 really a certfied Win2000 application? Until now all
versions of Mathematica may crash, because it is not running in a window but is
sitting on desktop. So Mathematica is the unique program I know of which is able
to hang while blocking mouse and keyboard control even for the windows
task manager call by Crtl+Alt+Del.

Your problem is that windows not really is able to manage such a
tremendous amount of data.  Try to enlarge the pagefile to at least
double ram volume on all used partitions.

--
Roland Franzius

  +++ exactly <<n>> lines of this message have value <<FALSE>> +++