Re: confusing Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg30274] Re: confusing Mathematica?
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 20:02:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I don't know the cause of your problems but re:

> The way the
> front end spuriously moves text around while I am trying to complete
> brackets and braces is most unhelpful,

We can control this by going to the Option Inspector and trying the
following settings for the notebook or the cell

    AutoIndent ->  True           (does not autoindent but  does inherit
manual indents)
    AutoSpacing -> False       (if you don't want, for example, extra space
around + in a+b)
    LineBreakWithin -> False  (stops wordwrap)
    LineIndent-> <the size of indent that you want>

You might also try using InputForm for the input cells (by menu>Cell>Default
Input Format Type>InputForm

Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and ConsultingI don't
Leicester UK
hay at
Voice: +44 (0)116 271 4198
Fax: +44 (0)870 164 0565