Re: combining Log[] terms

The result is not true when one of a or b is negative.  For example,
Log[-a], where a>0 can be written as Log[-1] + Log[a] = i Pi + Log[a] (using
DeMoivre's theorem). Hence, Log[-a] - Log[b] = i Pi + Log[a/b].

However, if both a and b are negative then the i Pi term cancels and you get
the same result.

Hence use either:

Simplify[Log[a] - Log[b], {b > 0, a > 0}] to get
Log[a/b].

or

Simplify[Log[a] - Log[b], {b < 0, a < 0}] to get
Log[a/b].

-Souvik