Graphic converters problem

Hi; I'm running Mathematica 4.0 on Linux Mandrake 8.0. When I try to
import/export some graphic which need to be converted by an external program
(like jpeg files) I get this error:
(on stderr)
sh: /usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Converters/Binaries/Linux/JPEG.exe:
No such file or directory

(on the frontend)
LinkConnect::linkc:
<<1>> is dead; attempt to connect failed.

Maybe the problem is with the C libraries; now I have installed glibc
2.2.2-4 and libc 5.2.12-35, but I still see the error. Do I have to
reinstall Mathematica? Or do something else?

Thank you very much
Stefano