Matrix of possible combinations of N elements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31830] Matrix of possible combinations of N elements
  • From: "Per Schjetne" <per.schjetne at dmhuset.no>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 06:51:59 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have N elements and want to make a matrix of all possible combinations.
Example:

A, B, C, D -> 4 elements
Combinations with 2 similar characters are not allowed (AAAA, AABB etc)
So that gives me 4*3*2*1=24 unique combinations
I have no problem writing all the combinations down, but I find it hard to
make a general function/algorithm in VB for generating matrix of any number
of elements.

I know this is a common problem and instead of using days on this problem I
ask you gurus here!

Per :-)