Searching over real values only

Dear MathGroup Members,
sorry for bothering you with questions being not really
Mathematica-specific.

Sometimes I have to maximize (likelihood) functions which
are defined for real values only.
When I use FindMinimum, it sometimes
jumps out of the real tracks and breaks.
(When I use statistical standard routines, for
example in Gauss or Stata, these Problems don't arise.
But these packages simply apply Quasi-Newton search,
which is a possible option in FindMinimum.)

Is there a simple *general* method to restrict the parameters
to the real space?

Thanks and best regards,
	Johannes Ludsteck

Johannes Ludsteck