Re: Font display

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg27034] Re: [mg26982] Font display
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 03:00:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Yes, these Unicode slots (which map to the identical positions in ISOLatin1
and WindowsANSI) are mapped to characters in our Math1 font to guarantee
their availability (and consistent glyphs) on all platforms and under all
encodings.  You can change these mappings by editing the file...

<install directory>\SystemFiles\FrontEnd\TextResources\

and changing the following lines...

0x00AC          N               2               0xd8            # \[Not]
0x00AC          N               1               0xac            # \[Not]

0x00B7          N               2               0xd7            # \[CenterDot]
0x00B7          N               1               0xb7            # \[CenterDot]

and from
0x00B1          N               2               0xb1            # \[PlusMinus]
0x00B1          N               1               0xb1            # \[PlusMinus]

This will reset the mappings of these characters from the Math1 font back
into the "base font", which is to say the font which you explicitly set (in
this case, DB Thai Text).  Note that the behaviour you describe isn't a
bug, and this does not constitute a bug fix.  The really correct way to do
this would be to add appropriate mappings from unicode into your
font.  But, since I don't know how your font is encoded, and this
particular workaround is fairly easy to implement, I offer it for your use.

John Fultz
jfultz at
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.