Re: Bigger array taking less memory than smaller array

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27264] Re: [mg27210] Bigger array taking less memory than smaller array
  • From: vze295bp at verizon.net (David Reiss)
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 03:41:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This is not disturbing, but rather a controllable feature.
It is associated with the threshold for changing
a list of fixed type in=to a packed array.
It can be controlled through Developer` context functions.
Specifically you can use the Developer` context function
SetSystemOptions to control this behavior. (And you can see the
set of system options by executing SystemOptions[]
after loading the Developer` context.)
Here is your example before and after changing the
system option for "ArrayCompileLength":

In[1]:=
<< Developer`

In[2]:=
ByteCount[Array[0 &, 200]]

Out[2]=
3220

In[3]:=
ByteCount[Array[0 &, 300]]

Out[3]=
1252

In[4]:=
ByteCount[Array[0 &, 1000]]

Out[4]=
4052

In[5]:=
SetSystemOptions["ArrayCompileLength" -> 500]

Out[5]=
"ArrayCompileLength" -> 500

In[6]:=
ByteCount[Array[0 &, 200]]

Out[6]=
3220

In[7]:=
ByteCount[Array[0 &, 300]]

Out[7]=
4820

In[8]:=
ByteCount[Array[0 &, 1000]]

Out[8]=
4052

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

--
) Scientific Arts: http://www.scientificarts.com
) Creative Services and Consultation for the Applied