Re: Mathematica can talk!

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg27354] Re: [mg27231] Mathematica can talk!
  • From: "Christopher J. Purcell" <purcell at>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:18:04 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On a Macintosh G3, system 8.6, with Mathematica Version 4.0, a
perusal of the output from:

reveals 3 interesting undocumented symbols:

After much trial and error all I succeeded in doing was the following:

  (* Example of telling the front end to create a cell with text in
it, selecting it and then speaking, but only saying the "In[]". The
is clearly missing something, but if this line is not included the
kernel will not terminate without extreme prejudice.  *)

],"Houston we have a problem."]];

I was hoping after writing some text to a cell, and selecting it,
that I could mimic the effect of inputting Control-V from the
keyboard. This is getting close to working, it reads back the In[].
Any suggestions on how to improve upon this?

>  I have a Mac with Mac9.04. Recently, I was working on a notebook
>and accidently pressed Control V keys (instead of Command V)
>and to my amazement Mathematica read back the cell contents to
>me . I have looked to see if this  feature is documented but have
>not found anything in the Help manual . Has anyone got any ideas
>on how one can control the speech properties  I guess it is using
>the speech synthesizer in the Mac. However, I have not been able
>to control the speed or voice characteristics with the Mac  speech
>contol panel .
>Sent via
Dr. Christopher J. Purcell
Defence Research Establishment Atlantic
9 Grove St., Dartmouth, NS Canada B2Y 3Z7

Tel: 902-426-3100-x389
Fax: 902-426-9654
E-mail: purcell at