RE: Extracting units from a list of values

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27423] RE: [mg27398] Extracting units from a list of values
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 00:53:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thomas,

I have a package at my web site below called Miscellaneous`V4ExtendUnits`.
One of the routines in the package is BaseSI which will convert any
expression with units to the standard base SI units (Second, Meter,
Kilogram, Ampere, Candela). Once this is done we can remove all numeric
quantities with the following rule.

Needs["Miscellaneous`V4ExtendUnits`"]

unitsextract[expr_] :=
 Module[{t = BaseSI[expr]},
   t = t //. HoldPattern[a___*(b_ /; NumericQ[b] &&
           FreeQ[b, Second | Meter | Kilogram | Ampere | Candela])*
         c___] :> a*c;
    If[NumericQ[t], 1, t]]

Then it is easy to test. Here is one of your examples:

unitsextract /@ {1, 2 Pi, 3 E Meter^2}
SameQ @@ %
{1, 1, Meter^2}
False

Here is a more complicated example, where the list is expressed in different
but compatible  units. (If only NASA had done this with their Mars probe!)

unitsextract /@ {2.*Meter/Second^2, Sin[3]*Meter/Second^2,
   5*Pi*Feet/Minute^2, 3.*LightYear/Year^2}
SameQ @@ %
{Meter/Second^2, Meter/Second^2, Meter/Second^2, Meter/Second^2}
True

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/