Fourier Transform and convolution.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg26583] Fourier Transform and convolution.
  • From: Adil.Reghai at
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 01:51:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

We wanted to perform the distribution of a sum of two independent variables
X and Y which are both N(0,1).
The way We wanted to do it is to use the convolution property. In order to
compute this convolution we perform
a Fourier Transform of the pdf n(0,1) and then square each point. After that
we performed an inverse Fourier transform.
Instead of obtaining a N(0,sqrt(2)) we obtain a distribution which is
shifted in the form of a U.

Could you please tell us what went wrong?

disclaimer statement and monitoring policy, please refer to or contact the sender.