Subscripted variables and FindRoot?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg26688] Subscripted variables and FindRoot?
- From: Mike Yukish <may106 at psu.edu>
- Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:47:36 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: Penn State University, Center for Academic Computing
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hello, I love using subscripted variables for readability, but they seem to have their limitations. FindRoot[ ] seems to burp when presented with a function that takes a subscripted variable as input. Also, and probably related, how do you declare a subscripted variable as a pattern for a function? Patterns and subscripts seem to clash. This is no problem... foo[x_]:= x^2 This is a problem (read Xy as x-subscripted-y) foo[Xy_] := Xy^2 Where it does not recognize compute z^2 when presented with foo[z] Any hints on how to work with them?