RE: [Q] symbolic SVD?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg26852] RE: [mg26809] [Q] symbolic SVD?
  • From: Mikael Adlers <mikael at>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 01:13:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

since the SVD and eigenvalue problem is closely related it is possible to
use the
function Eigenvalues/Eigenvectors to compute the symbolic singular
values and vectors for low dimensional matrices. (However, I should not
if since the expressions will be quite awfull.)

Let A = U S Transpose[V] be the singular value decomposition of A
(A mxn matrix, U orthonormal mxm S diagonal mxn and V orthonormal nxn)
then the following relation is true

Sqrt[Eigenvalues[Transpose[A].A]] = Singular values of A
Eigenvectors[Transpose[A].A] = 'almost' the right singular vectors to A (V)
Eigenvectors[A.Transpose[A]] = 'almost' the left singular vectors to A (U)

To obtain the singular vectors youll have to normalize the vector length to
(by e.g. U = DiagonalMatrix[1/(VectorNorm[#,2]&)/@U].U )

Hope this helps,

 Mikael Adlers, Ph.D.          email: mikael at
 MathCore AB                   phone: +4613 32 85 07
 Teknikringen 1F               fax:         21 27 01
 SE-583 30 Linköping, Sweden