Re: G4 power Mac and OS X

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26930] Re: G4 power Mac and OS X
  • From: fRech <frech at iol.it>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:30:07 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <94r8q4$ik7 at smc.vnet.net>, Mike
<m.honeychurch at sci.monash.edu.au> wrote:

> Also Apple are releasing OS X in a couple of months. Will Mathematica V4.0
> run okay on OS X? Has anyone tested it on the OS X beta?
>
> thanks
>
> Mike

An annouce by Wolfram published on January the 12th is reported here
below. But it doesn't seem clear (at least to me). It's not clear if
the v4.1 will be carbonized (i.e. compatible with MacOS X) or developed
under Cocoa (i.e. coded natively with a full MacOS X's features
support).

Anyone at Wolfram could be so kind to solve my doubts??

Thanks,
fRech.

****** Begin forwarded message ******

Wolfram Research Prepares Mathematica for Mac OS X

Leading Technical Computing Software to Take Full Advantage of Mac OS X
Capabilities
January 12, 2001--Wolfram Research announced today that Mathematica, the
world's leading technical computing system, will be available in a
version
that takes full advantage of the unique capabilities of Mac OS X.

"We have been following the development of Mac OS X with great
interest,"
said Theodore Gray, cofounder of Wolfram Research and chief architect
of the
Mathematica user interface. "Mathematica 4.1 running on Mac OS X has the
makings of a remarkable environment for scientific computing. This
promises
to be a no-compromise combination of speed, stability, capability, and
ease."

"The supercomputing speed of Apple's Power Mac G4 provides an incredible
environment for scientific computing, and with Mac OS X's unparalleled
performance and ease of use, it's only going to get better," said Clent
Richardson, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations.
"Mathematica is the most powerful software for doing calculations in
science, engineering, and mathematics, and we're thrilled to see Wolfram
take advantage of the incredible technologies Mac OS X has to offer."

Mathematica is the system that top professionals in industry, research,
and
education turn to when they need to perform demanding calculations. The
current release of Mathematica, Version 4.1, includes greatly enhanced
symbolic differential equation solvers and dramatic speed increases for
statistical functions.

Professionals are not the only ones who use Mathematica. Like the
Macintosh,
Mathematica is popular on college campuses around the world. Students in
engineering, mathematics, and other technical fields use Mathematica to
expand their knowledge and to do their most serious number crunching.
With
Mathematica running on Mac OS X, they will be able to use the latest in
Apple technology to make the most of their educational opportunities.

****** End forwarded message ******

--
Mr. fRech

"Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out,
  but that is not the reason we are doing it" -- Richard Feynman